Elizabeth & James blazer // Current Elliott jeans // Free People top // Joie clutch // Ray-Ban sunglasses // Sam Edelman shoes (scored at TJMaxx!) // etc… bracelets // Gorjana rings and necklace
This Elizabeth & James blazer has been in my closet longer than I’ve hung onto most pairs of jeans. It wasn’t cheap (and of course, I purchased it at less than retail at a discount store), but it was one of those well tailored, classic pieces that I knew would have longevity in my wardrobe.
A good blazer is something that’s worth the splurge on. It’s like your winter coat—you can end up wearing it every day and even as a jacket on transitional days like this weird is it spring yet weather we’ve been having here in NYC.
That’s what got me thinking, you can’t go wrong when you wear this simple formula for a classic go-to outfit:
1. Start with a good pair of jeans. Boyfriend style makes it look effortlessly cool, but well-fitting skinnies are always good, and flared/wide legged are also acceptable for the daring fashionista.
2. Then top it off with a silky or chiffon blouse. This is what’s going to dress up the outfit, especially if your jeans are a bit worn in. Sleeveless works just as well as long sleeve. Give the top a little tuck in the middle and let the sides hang out for a casual look, otherwise tucked and belted for a more polished look.
3. Throw on a blazer. My favorite step. Black, navy, white are classic, but you can have fun with this too. If you want to get super-fashiony, through it over your shoulders instead of actually putting it on and you may have street-style photographers chasing you!
4. Add some great show-stopping flats like oxfords. The more simple the outfit, the more fun your shoe should be. Don’t be afraid of metallics, which can actually act as a neutral for your outfit. Cuff or crop those jeans and show off your ankles, sans socks!
5. Carry a clutch. This will have you ready to go from running errands to grabbing drinks with friends. A clutch always looks more polished than a giant bag. You can even keep a pouch like this one in your purse and pull it out when you’re ready to go out.
6. Pile on simple jewelry. The more clean and simple, the more you can layer up. This will complete your outfit.
7. Finish off with a classic pair of sunglasses. Like a cherry on a sundae, sunglasses can actually give that final touch to your outfit. Don’t be afraid to change your sunglasses based on what you’re wearing and classic shapes like aviators and wayfarers go with just about any look.