I love your style advice so I thought I would ask you a question. I am 54 years old and always wonder what is style appropriate for my age? I am a professional abstract artist and always have functions to attend. I always second guess what to wear. Any advice?
–Terri, Dallas, TX / SaatchiArt.com/TerriMcGhee
There’s a reason that you often see creative people—whether in art, fashion, or another right-brained industry—wearing either lots of black or the same style over and over like a uniform. It’s easy and once you have it down, you always look chic and put together.
If you focus your wardrobe on these few key and classic pieces, you’ll be able to mix and match and get ready for all of those fabulous events that you have to attend without too much thought.
1. THE BLAZER – Every women should own at least one well tailored blazer in her closet. This should be something you splurge on because quality of the structure can make a big difference. Of course, it doesn’t have to be a traditional black blazer. This mint green blazer is unexpected and sweeter.
2. A GREAT BLO– USE – This doesn’t need to be over-the-top or overly pricey, but a beautiful, yet simple silky blouse will be versatile in your wardrobe (dress it down with jeans and dress it up with a skirt or dress pants for evening). Throw over the blazer as a jacket and then take it off when the event gets crowded.
3. THE CASUAL/DRESSY LITTLE BLACK DRESS – Okay, so the LBD is probably not news to you, but finding a little black dress that you can dress down with sandals or booties and then dress up with a pair of killer heels is key.
4. CROPPED/CIGARETTE BLACK PANTS – A slim cropped black pant is really the perfect wardrobe staple. A good pair should make you feel polished (and bonus if it makes you feel slender!) and looks great with a pair of heels or booties with just a little skin showing at the ankle. If this is where you want to save, then utilize a tailor for these to make them tailored a bit more and get a longer pair hemmed shorter.
5. A LUXE BAG/CLUTCH – When you’re attending an event, chances are you’ll be carrying a bag and you want it to complete your look. A splurge-worthy small purse or a statement clutch will elevate an otherwise simple outfit.
6. A KILLER PAIR OF SHOES – If your style is more classic and polished then invest in at least one pair of attention-grabbing heels, otherwise a cool pair of booties will give your classic look a bit of an edge, whether paired with pants or a dress. A well-made pair like these booties will also be comfortable and in your closet for years to come.
7. A STATEMENT PIECE OF JEWELRY – Maybe this will be your signature piece, whether it be a cocktail ring, a stack of bangles, large earrings, or a chunky necklace, this one piece will have people notice and maybe strike up a conversation over it.